Thursday, January 12, 2006

I Was Born Intelligent But Education Ruined Me

I saw this graffiti written in bold on the T-Shirt of a carefree guy and he seemed to be flaunting it very proudly. At first I just ignored it, taking it as another funky statement but then a little more thought made me realize how true it is.
Scene 1:-
I was walking through the corridor of my company when a man in his thirties in grey uniform stationed at the end of the corridor opened the gate for me to pass through. His duty is to open the gate for the visitors. He has a chair by his side but he can't quite afford to sit. Scorching heat, rain or cold, it hardly matters, he is there by the gate all the time.
Scene 2:-
In the canteen, people from Hospitalit Department are constantly serving food, tea and other eatables for us (including me) to fill our bellies. One invariably finds them running here and there to ensure that people like me have their food and other snacks on time.
Confused??
Why the hell am I stating something which is obvious? And how are these scenes connected to the main heading?
My Dilemma:-
These guys standing in the corridor, cafeteria or at any other place may have received very little formal education. They may not have gone to the best engineering colleges or MBA Schools; they may not have degrees that many of us strive to achieve througout our lives yet these guys make me envy. More than that my respect for them has grown manifolds over the time. These guys with little formal education who make our lives simpler in office, know exactly what they are supposed to do in the organization. They may not be carrying KRA (Key Responsibilty Areas ) sheets but they exactly know how they contribute to the organization. On the other hand there are people like me who make tall claims of having degrees and degrees, claim to be educated but still so unsure; unsure about their roles in the organization and how do we contribute to its growth. What an irony? What is the use of education then if it can't bring clarity into someone's life or for that matter in my life.

6 Comments:

At 11:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanx well says, thats true though there are some us who brag about our education but doesn't do the job right.

 
At 7:04 am, Blogger Mohit Kaul said...

Hi! Thanks a lot for stopping by blog where I just rant.

I don't think that it is about education and job well done. In Hindu mythology we say that knowledge is a mean that leads to Salvation, I am talking about Jnanayoga. Education is bounds to open new vistas, it is light that takes away the darkness. I really am not sure whether the present education system is doing that. I believe that it is adding to more confusion. The word education has been debased to accumulating degrees, certificates and grades in exams. But I am not really sure if that's the real purpose of education. How does one explain the fact that after school, colleges and universities most of us are baffled as ever, unable to make up our mind, unable to differentiate good from bad etc.

~Jai Hind
Agneepankh

 
At 7:41 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Nice said, I did realise myself this on an earlier stage.When i was 19 :) ... 1

 
At 4:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi..i am only 14 can relate to your blog because i do believe that education is ruining my life..i am studying but still i have many confusions :))..

-april gem-

 
At 12:50 am, Blogger Mohit Kaul said...

Hey April Gem,

Young buddy I can understand this phase of your life for I too have gone through the same not many years ago :). The problem doesn't lie in the education but I guess the problem lies in the implementation. You are only 14 and this time of your life lays foundation for your future, so I understand the chaos, confusion, pressure etc one goes through. Buddy, I say that chaos and confusion is not bad in life.... It helps one strive that extra bit.... and if things are crystal clear in life then certainly there is a problem... Buddy, I can only say that hang in there and fight like a man... strive that extra bit and see of this challenge and I am sure you will not have many regrets when you think about these years as a grown up man...... And yeah did I tell you that I really suck at advise.....

Jai Hind

 
At 5:53 am, Blogger vajra said...

thank you so much.well said by u....
i have a problem that in our college our professors teach not only the subject but also the things good or bad that we'll have definitely in our lives but the educational system in our college is like spoon feeding so every one is getting bored of that we are not able to implement our creativity........

 

Post a Comment

<< Home