Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Walk Alone and Walk Far

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know,
His house is in the village though.
He will not see me stopping here,
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer,
To stop without a farmhouse near,
Between the woods and frozen lake,
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake,
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep,
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

-Robert Frost

I simply would have killed Robert Frost, how come he can pen down thoughts so beautifully. This poem may not be something landmark in the English poetry but then it is something which is so simple but yet so profound. Similar thoughts were echoed by Gurudev Tagore in his poem, it goes like:-
If they answer not to thy call, walk alone;
If they are afraid and cower mutely facing the wall,
Open thy mind and speak out alone.
If they turn away and desert you when crossing the wilderness,
Trample the thorns under thy tread,
And along the blood-lined track travel alone.
If they do not hold up the light when the night is troubled with storm,
With the thunder-flame of pain ignite thine own heart,
And let it burn alone.
-Rabindranath Tagore
There are times and these time come very frequently in my life when I am unsure about my destination and I simply feel like in wanderness but then I don't feel like stopping. I just don't want to stop but carry on, on and on till my legs don't give up. When I share these feelings with my near and dear ones they console me that it is not important to have a destination in mind, all that matters is the willingness to walk and then the courage to undertake that journey. I would reach a destination if I am destined to otherwise I am just like a nomad. But how long? How long can I afford to be aimless in life? I am so unsure as to what will bring about happiness and satisfaction in my life. Until I don't find such thing(s), I have to continue on with my nomadic journey.

4 Comments:

At 11:50 am, Blogger DuruBaba said...

And miles to go before I sleep....one of my fav lines....
true... profundity tastes best when served on the platter of simplicity.....

 
At 11:32 pm, Blogger Mohit Kaul said...

I agree with you in totality on that. But at the same time it pains to see that the platter of simplicity is becoming rarer and rarer. Being simple in present time means lacking in class. When I talk about my grandfather being simple, to people it simply means that he was either poor or he had no taste for life.

I am of the opinion that in the coming time Simplicty will be a mere concept of the long bygone era.

 
At 8:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi moti, nice post-abhinav pandeya

 
At 5:16 am, Blogger Mohit Kaul said...

Sometime when I sit back and reflect upon things, the only thing I am sure about is the unsurity in life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home