Friday, June 23, 2006

Crap Interview

Sometimes feeling of writing more often overwhelms me, but then I find myself lacking in ideas. First of all I am not a regular writer, I need ideas which are close to my heart and secondly I am a very selfish writer. I say this because I write about things that concern me, my feelings and my thoughts but today I am about to break that because of an article in the newspaper, rather an interview with an actress which I found disgusting, so disgusting that I couldn't stop myself from writing about it.
I came across this interview of Pooja Bhatt published on the front page of the Times of India insert. I don't agree at first place that these filmstars are superstars or some kind of special people, it is we people who put them on a high pedestal and make them feel special and wanted. Firstly, Ms Bhatt proclaims openly that she has no qualms about being a 12th Standard dropout as she has not missed out on much. Dropping out of college is her personal choice and I don't hold a right to comment on that. But being a celebrity are you supposed to send this kind of message and that too on a medium which is read by one and all?
Further she says that since her childhood she dreamt of being an Astronaut but she figured out that she could not realise her dreams in India. The satellites that India was trying to put in orbit came crashing down into the sea. Ms Bhatt, I can't see how a 12th Standard dropout can be an Astronaut at first place. You did not have enough courage to finish your education, leave aside the dream of being an Astronaut. Let me remind you that Rakesh Sharma realised this dream when the word astronaut would have been alien to you. Talking about the satellites crashing into the sea, yes they did but I don't see that as a deterrent in one's path to becoming an Astronaut. A country can't gain capacity to place satellites in orbit overnight. You gave up your dream of being an Astronaut just because India faced a few roadblocks in the space program is just like a director giving up the thought of making movie just because the bollywood is not doing well.
I found your comments atrocious and unwanted. You have dismissed the efforts of so many brilliant minds involved in the high end research across the various labs in India. Your comments about India's incapacity to place satellites in orbit is just an excuse to hide your lack of conviction on your part to dream and fulfill your dreams.
PS:- I reckon Times of India no more than a tabloid, it is all glossy with no substance. Being a national daily, it has some responsibility towards the readers of this country. How can they publish an interview of a celebrity who seems to be cynical about her own country and coutrymen.

4 Comments:

At 1:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two things:
1) " I never let my schooling interfere with my education" _ Mark Twain.
Its not about a celebrity giving a message. Its about an alternative line of thought which all , youngetsers included, need.
2) Yes what she says is pure frustration. The US of A have sent down two capsules full of bright ppl. We have only sent down a few inanimate objects.

 
At 2:03 am, Blogger Mohit Kaul said...

Swami Vivekanada once said that the emphasis should be on "man making education". And what I can make out Mark Twain also refers to the same. But that kind of education can be received only when one is initiated into it or one has a keen sense of curiosity for the same. It is no cake-walk, for that one has to be self-disciplined, curious and receptive. I hope that you agree when I say that there aren't many people around with these qualities. At the same time we can't let youngsters scot-free and have free lunch. It'll be one big hell down here. Furthermore, I don't see Pooja Bhatt with the necessary credentials to propogate this line of thought.

 
At 2:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of the successful people we talk of have not had very sterling acamedic record. We have all been exposed to messages such as Pooja Bhatt's and so have been other kids , but yet we all go to school and belive the higher we study the eazier will be our path to salvation.
As a kid however what the likes of Pooja Bhatt did was to sesetize me to a carriculum which my school had missed out.

 
At 11:48 pm, Blogger A Soul In Exile said...

TOI is definitely the mostly widely read tabloid in the world...

So why take their reporting to heart...

Anyway, Pooja Bhatt has a heriditary trait of speaking crap...It runs in the blood via Mahesh Bhatt... who again is a compulsive commentator on everything and anything - even when he has no business commenting on such stuff...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home